Effective and timely permitting is critical for mine operations and expansion. We help our clients navigate and maintain compliance with state and federal regulations, including the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), Clean Water Act (CWA), Clean Air Act (CAA), and many state regulatory programs. DBS&A has successfully negotiated with regulatory agencies to permit mine operations, resulting in reduced mining costs and increased operation life of the mine. Such negotiations have included:
- Permitting in-pit leach stockpiles and the backfilling of existing pits with waste rock to shorten haul distances and expand leaching operations
- Developing alternative abatement standards for groundwater to support permit compliance as well as the management and treatment of mine water
- Modifying and renewing state permits to reflect changes in mining operations
- Assisting with the development of regulations, such as the New Mexico Copper Rule
- Providing expert testimony at public meetings and at hearings to support permit acquisitions or variances
DBS&A’s natural resource team consists of renowned, high-caliber biologists and ecologists with the expertise to perform biological assessments, biological evaluations, habitat conservation plans, ordinary high-water mark determinations, wetland delineations, and mitigation and monitoring plans. We perform all aspects of evaluations for NEPA compliance and have experience with impact analysis for land use, natural resources, threatened and endangered species, water resources, socioeconomics and environmental justice, hazardous materials, air quality, noise, visual resources, and cultural resources.