What to expect from DBS&A
Are you a highly motivated project- or senior-level hydrogeologist seeking challenging projects, career advancement, employee ownership, and a great place to work? DBS&A is a water resources, engineering, and environmental consulting firm providing comprehensive services in groundwater and surface water hydrology and soil science. Our staff values a work environment that is collegial, collaborative, respectful, and rewarding with challenging work and flexible work schedules. In this position, you will work hand-in-hand with a range of professionals with backgrounds in hydrology and geology; soil and environmental science; civil, chemical, and environmental engineering; geographic information system (GIS) and computer drafting; and field and laboratory technology. As a subsidiary of Geo-Logic Associates (GLA), you will have access to 250 diverse professionals in 26 offices in the U.S. and Peru. There is lots of room to grow personally, professionally, and geographically within our organization.
Why we really want you in this job
- You have a strong attention to detail and a demonstrated aptitude for problem solving and analytical thinking coupled with task, project, and/or team management.
- You have a track record of conducting and/or managing highly technical projects and implementing established financial management techniques to ensure successful completion of your projects.
- You want to put your MS or PhD degree in hydrology, hydrogeology, or a closely related field to work in the field of water resources planning and development.
- You are looking to expand on your 8+ (project-level) or 12+ (senior-level) years of professional experience that includes the development of groundwater resource management plans, evaluation of conjunctive use options, and exploration for groundwater resources. Staff-level applicants (i.e., those not meeting the recommended minimum experience for a project- or senior-level position) are encouraged to apply, as well. DBS&A has many opportunities for advancement and industry-recognized experts in many fields that are available to assist with your mentoring.
- You want to apply your PG and/or CHG license to work on exciting water planning and development projects for a wide range of municipal, governmental, and private-sector clients across several western states.
- You have the ability to work with and/or direct a team of hydrogeologists, hydrologists, engineers, GIS specialists, and biologists working on water management issues in multiple states.
- You are willing to mentor others with less experience and aid in their professional development.
- You have experience interacting with regulatory agencies, preferably the California Department of Water Resources, agricultural irrigation districts, groundwater conservation districts, Groundwater Sustainability Agencies, Regional Water Quality Control Board, Division of Drinking Water, and/or U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- You are highly effective in your written and verbal communication and are comfortable addressing a technical (e.g., other hydrogeologists, engineers) or layperson audience (e.g. board of directors, county supervisors, city council, GSA) as an effective public speaker.
More about this opportunity on a day-to-day basis
You will work with a team of highly talented individuals on a variety of small to large water resource and environmental projects, including water supply and development projects. Typical tasks for a senior-level hydrogeologist may include:
- Contributing to the implementation of Groundwater Sustainability Plans (GSPs) in compliance with California’s Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA)
- Preparing water supply assessments and other water resources planning documents
- Serving in a Project Manager role for water resource planning and development projects
- Directing team staff on technical and analytical issues
- Providing oversight to ensure projects are completed on schedule and budget
- Assisting with litigation support projects
- Assisting with business and staff professional development activities
- Preparing technical reports and using your experience to review technical reports as part of an internal peer review team
- Assisting with the preparation of proposals and budgets
- Working on project teams with professionals who are motivated to provide high-level services to our clients
Examples of project-level hydrogeologist tasks could include:
- Conducting numerical groundwater flow and transport modeling using various modeling packages, such as MODFLOW, GSFLOW, or HYDRUS
- Conducting field investigations, such as the design and installation monitoring wells and production wells
- Conducting environmental investigations for contaminated properties
- Assisting with litigation support activities
- Collecting and analyzing soil samples, water levels, and water quality data
- Assisting with geophysical surveys
- Analyzing data and preparing technical reports
- Managing geospatial data using ARCGIS, AutoCAD, Leapfrog, etc.
- Managing projects or significant tasks within larger projects
This position may require travel, including possible evenings, weekends, and holidays, and requires the ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. and work in adverse weather conditions. This position also requires that the potential employee pass a pre-employment drug screen. Potential employees must also undergo a pre-employment physical, must possess and maintain a driving record acceptable to our insurer, and must be eligible to work in the United States. Position level and compensation will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
DBS&A is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Sound like a good fit?
Follow the instructions below to apply online by uploading a resume, and cover letter. Applicants who are unable to apply online may submit their resume and cover letter by mail to: Human Resources, Geo-Logic Associates, 2777 East Guasti Road, Suite 1 Ontario, CA 91761. (Resumes submitted through postal mail must indicate Job 507 on the front of the mailing envelope).
All applicants are required to submit a resume; a cover letter is optional.
For Costa Mesa* office location only, apply here:
*Must be local or willing to relocate to Orange County area
For all other locations, apply here: