Job Number: 506
What to expect from DBS&A
Do you have public works construction inspection work experience? Are you seeking challenging projects, career advancement, employee ownership, and a great place to work? DBS&A is a water resources, engineering, and environmental consulting firm providing comprehensive services in groundwater and surface water hydrology, and soil science. Our staff values a work environment that is collegial, collaborative, respectful, and rewarding with challenging work and flexible work schedules. In this position, you will work hand-in-hand with a diverse range of educated professionals with backgrounds in hydrology and geology; soil and environmental science; civil, chemical, and environmental engineering; geographic information system (GIS) and computer drafting; and field and laboratory technology. You will tackle a wide-range of clients’ challenges related to management and development of natural resources and the environment, such as design and construction of landfills, development of water supplies, and or abatement of water quality impacts. As a subsidiary of Geo-Logic Associates, you will have access to 250 diverse professionals and 26 offices in the U.S. and Peru. There is lots of room to grow personally, professionally, and geographically within our organization.
Why we really want you in this job
The Construction Observer will provide on-site observation of construction projects on behalf of the company, coordinating with the engineering design team on project documentation such as construction submittal, requests for information, change order requests, etc.
Candidates should have:
- A high school diploma or GED equivalency
- Four years’ experience in public works construction inspection work or related field; or any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work
- Knowledge of construction practices, techniques, materials, and equipment
- Knowledge of engineering plans, specifications, and drawings
- Ability to read and interpret plans, specifications and drawings and to compare them with various aspects of construction in progress
- Water and wastewater infrastructure experience preferred
- Construction related certifications preferred, such as field nuclear densometer, or NICET certifications
More about this opportunity on a day-to-day basis
Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- On-site observation of construction and comparison to the design documents
- Preparing summary reports
- Conferring with supervisory and engineering personnel and contractor to resolve construction problems
- Reviewing work progress to ensure that procedures followed and materials used conform to specifications
- Examining workmanship of finished installations for conformity to standards and approving installation
- Verbal and written communication with contractors, engineering staff, and project Owner
- Conducting construction progress meetings
- Occasional field testing, which may include in place density tests with nuclear densometer
- Occasional materials or water sample collection
This position requires possession of a valid Driver’s License with acceptable driving record, and eligibility to work in the United States. The candidate must pass a pre-employment drug screening. While performing normal duties, the employee will regularly be required to stand, walk, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations will be made to individuals with disabilities according to legal requirements.
While performing regular duties, the employee will work mostly at an active construction site and construction office, at potentially remote sites. While at these sites, it is expected that the employee may be exposed to noise levels up to 90db and temperatures ranging from 32F to 100F. The employee will receive training and personal protective equipment to mitigate exposure to elevated noise and extreme temperatures.
DBS&A is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Sound like a good fit?
Follow the instructions below to apply online by uploading a resume, and cover letter, preferably. Applicants who are unable to apply online may submit their resume and cover letter by mail to: Human Resources, Geo-Logic Associates, 2777 East Guasti Road, Suite 1, Ontario, CA 91761. (Resumes submitted through postal mail must indicate Job 506 on the front of the mailing envelope).
All applicants are required to submit a resume; a cover letter is optional.